Breakfast does not have to be complicated. Place a fried egg on top of anything and voila you have breakfast.
Ok, maybe it’s not that simple, but seriously, this breakfast was made in under 15 minutes. These breakfast sopes are perfect for a busy weekday morning, but look fancy enough to enjoy with a cup of joe for a sit-down weekend breakfast.
I’m all about leftovers and these store-bought sopes are smothered with homemade refried beans made with leftover frijoles de la olla, guacamole, and bacon leftover from this cobb salad.
All I did was heat up sopes on a comal with a bit of olive oil, smothered them with refried beans, a generous dollop of guacamole, and then placed a fried egg on top and drizzled some Valentina hot sauce.
Sure, you can get fancy and make your own sopes, but I’m telling you these store-bought sopes are pretty darn awesome in a pinch.
- 12 Store-bought sopes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil per sope
- Refried beans
- Bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Valentina hot sauce or salsa of your choice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable shortening
- 1 ½ cups cooked Frijoles de la Olla, plus ½ cup liquid
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 eggs
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beans and the liquid. Cook over medium heat, mashing the beans with a potato masher, stir until they form a thick paste, about 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In heavy skillet drizzle olive oil. Cook sopes, in hot oil for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden.
- Top sopes with refried beans and guacamole.
- Heat a small non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Fry the egg over-easy and place over guacamole.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with bacon pieces and drizzle with hot sauce or salsa of your choice.
- Nutrition facts are based on a serving of 2 sopes per person topped with 1 tbsp of guacamole, refried beans, 1 egg and 1/2 slice of bacon per sope.
Photography by Jenna Sparks
One Comment on “Breakfast Sopes”
I’ll go for one of these right now, they look super delitous, I’m so hungry, I’ll have my egg scrambled please