Grilled Skirt Steak with Chimichurri Sauce
This Grilled Skirt Steak with Chimichurri Sauce is magical! Herby, garlicky, and tangy chimichurri sauce is so delicious slathered over anything, especially tender grilled steak.
Summertime is almost over. If the summer got away from you, like it did me, rest assured that there is still plenty of time to cook up this grilled skirt steak before the colder weather sets in.
Skirt Steak Marinade
When trying to develop this recipe, I was contemplating a marinade, similar to this carne asada recipe, but instead decided to make this recipe very simple with minimal ingredients and no need to marinate for a long time.
All I did was drizzle olive oil and Maggi seasoning sauce over the steak and then liberally seasoned with salt and pepper. I let the steak sit at room temperature for 30 minutes with the easy marinade.
What is Chimichurri Sauce
Chimichurri is an uncooked sauce that comes from Argnetina and is widely popular for its fresh and herbal flavors.
The great thing about this sauce is that it can also be used as a marinade.
This tangy chimichurri sauce is a lovely addition to many different dishes for it gives plenty of that herby flavor that makes a meal so special. But it works particularly well as a topping for a grilled skirt steak like this.
Super tasty and incredibly easy to make, this recipe features:
- fresh parsley
- tangy vinegar
And it gets an extra kick from crushed red pepper.
The chimichurri sauce can be made up to two days ahead of time, stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Make sure to stir the sauce before serving to combine all of the ingredients that might have settled or separated.
How to cook skirt steak
Juicy and delicious, skirt steak cooks quickly for a special day or an impromptu BBQ.
Before placing your marinated skirt or flank steak on the grill, it’s important to liberally season the meat on both sides with salt and pepper. Allow your grill to preheat. Place your steak on the grill and cook both sides for 3 to 4 minutes for medium-rare until about 125 degrees F.
Remove from the grill and allow the meat to rest for around 5 to 10 minutes lightly covered with foil to allow the juices to stay in the meat, not on the platter when cut.
Skirt Steak vs Other Types of Beef
The choice of meat depends on your preference, goals, and budget. But if you are looking for the perfect meat that hits all the boxes, skirt steak is the way to go.
How to serve
The best gift you can give someone special is a full stomach. As my grandma would always say, “Panza llena, corazón contento.”
Love this recipe? Try these:
- Tequila Lime Carne Asada Skewers
- Carne Asada Tortas with Chimichurri Sauce
- Smoked Ham and Chimichurri Panini
- Steak Fajita Skewers
Have you made this grilled skirt steak with chimichurri sauce? Rate the recipe and leave me a comment below to let me know how it turned out! To get more Muy Bueno recipes delivered straight to your inbox, sign up for my email newsletter.
Grilled Skirt Steak with Chimichurri Sauce
- Puree all ingredients in a blender. Transfer to bowl. Cover and let stand at room temperature.
Grilled Skirt Steak:
- Drizzle skrit steam with olive oil and Maggi seasoning.
- Season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Let skirt steak come to room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to high.
- Cook 3 to 4 minutes per side until meat is nicely charred and medium-rare.
- Transfer steak to a carving board; let rest for 5-10 minutes. Thinly slice.
- Serve drizzled with the chimichurri sauce.
- The chimichurri sauce can be made 2 hours ahead. Cover and let stand at room temperature.
- The chimichurri sauce can also be made up to two days ahead of time, stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Stir before serving.
- Let the steak come to room temperature for 30 minutes before adding seasoning and grilling.
Transfer grilled steak to a plate, cover loosely with foil and rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
Cut thin slices against the grain, is best.
Drizzle the chimichurri sauce over steak and serve additional chimichurri sauce on the side.
- Grilled skirt steak can be refrigerated for up to 4 days in an airtight container. To re-warm the steak either heat in a pan on the stove top or in the microwave until warm.
Photography by Jenna Sparks
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Kroger. The opinions and text are all mine.