Spiced Pomegranate Cranberry Holiday Margarita
If sweet, tart, bright, and boozy sounds like your ideal holiday beverage, you’re going to love this Spiced Pomegranate Cranberry Holiday Margarita. Whether you’re hosting a holiday party or enjoying a cozy evening by your fireplace, this winter margarita recipe is perfect for perking up your Christmas spirit.
Every sip of this Christmas tequila cocktail is a journey through a winter wonderland of flavors. The warmth of cinnamon and ginger and a hint of zesty orange blend with the sweet and sour notes of pomegranate and cranberry, balancing out tequila’s bite.
Why You’ll Love This Holiday Margarita Recipe
If you’re searching for Christmas magic in a glass, you’ve found it. Here’s why this easy cranberry margarita recipe is sure to make your permanent “Nice” list:
- Seasonally Stunning: This holiday margarita’s stunning crimson hue is a visual feast, promising to be the star of your festive gatherings.
- Effortlessly Elegant: With easy-to-follow steps and a handful of common ingredients, you can whip up this stunning cranberry pomegranate cocktail with minimal effort but maximum wow factor. It’s a hassle-free way to impress your guests!
- Puts the ‘Spirit’ in the Holiday: The blend of tequila with the vibrant flavors of pomegranate and cranberry makes every sip a celebration, adding a jolly vibe to your holiday gatherings.
Ingredients & Substitutions
While the ingredient list for this tequila Christmas cocktail might look long, I’d bet you already have most of what you need on hand. Here’s what to grab:
- Pomegranate Cranberry Juice – Make sure to grab juice with no added sugar. If you can’t find one, omit the added agave nectar.
- Orange Juice – Fresh is always best, especially when it comes to citrus juice. To get the most from your fruit, give it a firm roll on the counter for 10-15 seconds before washing it, grabbing wide peels of zest for your garnish, and slicing it open to juice.
- Tequila – I used silver tequila, which pairs beautifully with the spices. That said, you’re welcome to use tequila reposado for a hint of vanilla.
- Orange Liqueur – I recommend using a high-quality brand like Cointreau or Grand Marnier, though any Triple Sec will do.
- Agave Nectar – To balance out the tartness of the pomegranate cranberry juice.
- Ground Cinnamon & Ground Ginger – The addition of these warming elements is what makes this a spiced margarita.
- Cranberries & Pomegranate Seeds – These ruby red jewels make this cocktail extra festive!
- Rosemary Sprigs & Orange Peel – These bright and festive garnishes add a lovely visual touch, turning your happy hour at home into a bona fide cocktail party.
How To Make Cranberry Pomegranate Margaritas
These holiday margaritas come together in just a few simple steps. Here’s how:
Step 1: Prep Glass. Mix raw sugar and cinnamon in a shallow plate. Dip the rim of your glass in water (or run an orange wedge around the lip), then dip into the cinnamon sugar mix. Fill the glass with ice.
Step 2: Pour all ingredients, including cranberries and pomegranate seeds into a cocktail shaker with ice.
Step 3: Shake vigorously for about 30-45 seconds.
Step 4: Pour in your prepared glass.
Step 5: Serve garnished with rosemary sprig, orange peel and cinnamon stick.
While I love this spiced cranberry margarita recipe just the way it is, there’s definitely more than one way to pour Christmas tequila cocktails your whole crew will go nuts for. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Pomegranate Cranberry Mocktail Magic: For a non-alcoholic version that everyone can enjoy, simply replace the tequila and orange liquor with sparkling water. This booze-free sipper retains the festive flavors and colors of the original but is suitable for all ages and occasions.
- Spice It Up: If you’re a fan of spices, consider adding a pinch of ground nutmeg or cloves to enhance the warmth of the cinnamon and ginger. These spices give an extra cozy feel, perfect for colder evenings.
- Non-Citrus Twist: Replace the orange juice with apple cider and the orange liqueur for apple liqueur for a more autumnal flavor profile. This substitution pairs wonderfully with the cinnamon and ginger, turning it into my favorite Thanksgiving margarita.
- Skip the overpriced cups of pomegranate arils. Check out my tutorial on how to remove seeds from a pomegranate — it’s super easy!
- Stock up on fresh cranberries while you have the chance. They freeze beautifully, but seem to disappear from shelves in late December. As a bonus, frozen cranberries help keep your drink frosty while still adding a pop of color!
- Use high-quality tequila made from 100% pure agave. Trust me — anything that is a “blend” is a surefire way to give yourself a hangover.
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely! If you quadruple the recipe, it should make a punch bowl for 8 recipes. Simply move the slider in the recipe card for it to crank out all the new calculations for you. I suggest adding frozen cranberries to maintain the drink’s chill without diluting its flavors, steering clear of ice. Serve ice in an ice bucket on the side.
Orange liqueur typically brings sweetness to this drink, plus a pop of citrusy flavor.
Grand Marnier offers a richer, sweeter flavor that triple sec just doesn’t have.
Grand Marnier is typically more expensive.
More Christmas Drinks with Tequila
- Cranberry Margarita
- Pomegranate Margarita
- Cranberry Pomegranate Mexican Mule
- Pomegranate Grapefruit Paloma
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating on this recipe below and leave a comment, take a photo and tag me on Instagram with #muybuenocooking.
Spiced Pomegranate Cranberry Holiday Margarita
- 1/2 cup Pomegranate Cranberry Juice (no sugar added)
- 1/2 cup fresh squeeze orange juice
- 4 ounces silver tequila
- 1 ounce orange liqueur
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate seeds
- rosemary sprig, for garnish
- cinnamon stick (optional), for garnish
- Mix raw sugar and cinnamon in a shallow plate. Dip the rim of your glass in water (or run an orange wedge around the lip), then dip into the cinnamon sugar mix. Fill the glass with ice.
- Pour all ingredients, including cranberries and pomegranate seeds into a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake vigorously for about 30-45 seconds.
- Pour in your prepared glass.
- Serve garnished with rosemary sprig, orange peel and cinnamon stick.
Photography: Jenna Sparks