Cantaloupe Melon Margarita
If you love spiked aguas frescas, you’re going to love this Cantaloupe Margarita! Combine kid-friendly agua de melon with your favorite tequila for a happy hour treat you’re sure to love.
When melons are in season, there’s almost nothing I love more than sipping on their sweet nectar. Add some of my favorite spirit to the mix, and I’m basically on cloud nine!
About This Recipe
If you’re looking for another margarita recipe to add to your repetoire, this cantaloupe cocktail is perfect for you. Made with just four ingredients (one of which is water), this simple melon margarita recipe is a snap to make! All you’ll need is a blender, a strainer, 5 minutes of effort, and a long afternoon for lounging. Sounds pretty great, right?
Like most other recipes on this site, there are also plenty of opportunities for customizing this cocktail to your needs. Here are a few ideas to get your creative juices flowing:
- Change up your liquor! Use tequila blanco for a clean finish, reposado for notes of vanilla and oak, or completely shake things up by using smoky mezcal.
- Blend for a different texture! If you love a good frozen margarita, there’s no reason you can’t toss this bad boy in a blender with some ice cubes.
- Add a rim! While some people order their margaritas with no salt, I’m someone who loves a good rim on my cocktail. Slide a wedge of lime around the rim of your glass and dip in kosher salt or some Tajin for a delightful (and beautiful) authentic margarita experience.
Have non-drinkers in your life? Don’t worry! Since I use an agua de melon recipe as a base for these cantaloupe margaritas, you can easily make a booze-free version of this yummy summer cocktail for the designated drivers and underage sippers on your list.
So let’s go ahead and get to happy hour, shall we?
How to Make Cantaloupe Margaritas
Slice cantaloupe in half and scoop out seeds. Chop melon and place in blender with 2 cups water and blend until smooth.
For a melon margarita use 1 cup of agua de melón plus 1.5 ounces of tequila and shake and strain over ice, preferably in a Tajin rimmed margarita glass. Don’t have a shaker? No problem! Simply pour tequila over your glass of agua de melón and stir. Salud!
Frequently Asked Questions
While cantaloupe is my go-to choice for making agua de melon, you can easily swap in any musk melon of your choosing. Watermelon, honeydew, or canary melons will also work perfectly!
When it comes to tequila, you have lots of different options at just about any price point. Whether you choose to use tequila blanco, reposado, or even smoky mezcal, make sure you opt to use a brand that promises 100% pure agave. Anything else will not only taste sub-par, it’ll also give you a heck of a hangover.
If you’re short on sugar, feel free to use honey, maple syrup, or agave instead. You can also choose to use a sugar-free sweetener of your choice, though I recommend using a “cup-for-cup” style sugar substitute to ensure the proper level of sweetness.
Sure! This melon margarita mix will last for up to three days in the refrigerator.
Absolutely! If you’re hosting a fiesta, grab yourself a large drink dispenser and make a batch of agua de melon and add 2 cups of tequila and 1 cup of Cointreau and float slices of cantaloupe.
More Cocktail Recipes
If you tried this Melon Margarita recipe, please be sure to rate and review it below!
Cantaloupe Melon Margarita
- 1 cup Agua de Melon
- 1.5 ounces tequila
- Rub a wedge of lime around the rim of the glass and the dip the outside of the rim of the glass in salt or Tajin.
- Add 1 cup of Agua de Melón plus tequila into a shaker and shake and strain over ice.
- Refrigerate agua de melon for up to 3 days. Stir before serving as the liquid will separate over time.
- Feel free to use your favorite tequila: blanco, reposado, or even smoky mezcal.
- Can I make a pitcher or punch bowl of cantaloupe margaritas? Make a batch of agua de melon and add 2 cups of tequila and 1 cup of Cointreau and float slices of cantaloupe.
Photography by Jenna Sparks.